Monday, January 4, 2010

Floral Vase Still Life - New Painting

I hope you all had a wonderful New Year's Eve and Day. It was a quiet one at our house which suits me very well. Not a party person.

The day after the New Year holiday I spent a couple of hours at the local thrift store stocking up on still life objects for 2010. Almost everything was half price and I was in heaven. Among the "treasures" I found were the two objects in this painting. The little pot in shadow is a Williamsburg Pottery piece, and no info on the floral vase but I just loved the color and pattern on it.

As in the last painting, the concept of this was "intensity" where almost everything but the focal point if muted in color. I also wanted to play with creating space in my still life as almost all of my others seems to have the objects shoved up against each other. Nothing wrong with that, but I just wanted these objects to "breathe" a little bit.


Work in Progress "Floral Vase Still Life" 7 x 12" Pastel on Wallis


First Layers on Work in Progress - Floral Vase Still Life


Last year you might recall I picked a word for the year, for 2009 my word was "live". This year I have picked a more descriptive verb if you will, and it is "paint". Mark says he likes this word better than last year, because you can picture an action.....as he points out you could "live" never getting out of bed!

What's your word this year?

2 comments:

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

The vase is looking pretty interesting already....

What a good idea to have a word to live by for the year. I think mine will be 'Imagine'.

Anita Stoll said...

Very beautiful, it deserves to have its space. My word for this year is explore.