Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mandarin Before and After

"Mandarin"
5 x 5 Oil on Gallery Wrap Canvas
Click Here to Purchase Painting


A "before" and "after for you today.  The bottom painting is what I started with.  It was a painting I started 2 years ago in my quest to teach myself to do oils.  I thought what I wanted to do was a glazing approach, layer after layer of transparent oil glazes, but that proved too tedious for me.  So this little gallery wrapped canvas (sides are 1.5") sat in my studio for 2 years.  Today was the day to finish it by just painting over the top of the underpainting.  It turned out a lot brighter and a little more painterly.

Mission accomplished!

2 comments:

Mike Menius said...

Wow! this before and after sequence shows how far you've come. Congratulations.

Sherry Schmidt said...

Wow, so much better and now so beautiful.