Friday, January 22, 2016

Rough Migration

"Migration"
4 x 6" pastel on sanded paper
Day 22 of the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge

Today was rough painting. Maybe it was a long week or any other number of external factors, but the finished painting was about the 5th iteration of applying pastel and brushing it out. I even applied pastel ground twice to the layers underneath. I was trying to paint a "thing" and the "thing" just didn't want to come into being. So in desperation I started laying in my favorite purples and reds, along with my favorite turquoise. At the end I felt like the relief of having a root canal be over and done with. I actually like the finish!

Hopefully, by tomorrow I will forget what a rough painting day it was and I will be ready to start again fresh.




My studio neighbor and friend, Richard, was taking pictures in the different studios today. As you can see one of the iterations of this painting actually was blue.

No comments: