Thursday, January 21, 2016

Red Violet 21

"Red Violet 21"
5 x 7" pastel on sanded paper coated with pastel ground
Day 21 of 30 paintings in 30 days challenge
Click here to purchase painting
Ships matted to a 9 x 12" size

 I was inspired by the artist, Stanley Bielen, this morning (mostly by color and subject matter.) I believe this would be more of a cross between abstract and expressionism or impressionism. Doesn't really matter as it started abstractly as an "L" composition. L means exactly what you might think it means - the forms create an L. So mine is an upside down L.
I've always loved the idea of being able to paint flowers, but I would get so tied up in the literal interpretation that they weren't fun to tackle. Several artists whose work I admire paint the suggestion of flowers with large shapes of color. I enjoyed approaching these the same way...and may be a way for me to be able to paint flowers.