The April Version of "Pears on Sateen" came out of the closet this week for another look.
I decided a couple of things:
1. The pears looked really flat, plus there were not enough darks to give them much form.
2. The colors used in the painting were all isolated....no reflected colors bouncing around.
3. Although I did set up the still life, I worked from the photograph rather than real life.
So this week I bought a couple of similar pears, took the painting into the studio and set up the lighting and a piece of fabric of similar color.....and proceeded to work on this some more.
The pears have much more form now and strokes are even more pronounced than they were on the earlier version.
I'll have it critqued on Thursday night in class (so it may not be done), but I think I'm much happier with it.
12 x 18" "Pears on Sateen" Pastel on Wallis
(click on the pic for a larger version_