This was another underpainting I did as an experiment with the Staedtler markers on 5" x 7" Ampersand pastelbord. (See the last picture.)
The big problem I had after I finished the underpainting was that the edges particularly in the background were much too hard and would have been difficult to overcome with just colored pencil.
Before throwing it in the trash I decided to try using my pastel pencils to paint over the psycho underpainting. It was great fun to be loose and free, as most of my work is very realistic. Even with the looseness and all of the color, it does have a value structure. (See the grayscale.)
When viewed up close this piece appears very textural and colorful, but when viewed from a distance of 8-10 ft the colors blend beautifully and it reads as a pear should.