Saturday, November 26, 2011

Beginnings of Pear and Red Ribbon

 
Work in Progress "Pear and Red Ribbon" 6 x 6 Oil on Gessobord

This is the burnt umber underpainting for a new 6 x 6" that I started yesterday.  As those of you who have seen my work before you know I almost always start with an underpainting if I am working in the light/shadow approach to painting.  Once I lay some burnt umber down, I start working with a paper towel to adjust the values.  You can also see the pencil grid in the white space of the pear, this helped me to get the ribbon shapes in the right place.

Since this won't be painted all in one sitting, I took a big mop brush and softened all the brush srokes and edges.  This will eliminate for me, fighting dried ridges in the next layers. 

The pear is yellow green and red, and the ribbon is red.  I think it will be very appropriate for the holidays.  Watch for the finish!

No comments: