Friday, September 30, 2011

Experimenting with Color - White

"Spooky" 6 x 6 Oil on Gessobord
Click Here to Purchase Painting
As all artists know, white is not actually white.  It is a combination of the reflected colors, the light source, and some of the kitchen sink!

So I was presented with the challenge of this little white pumpkin this morning.   Do I paint it off white and yellow, or do I really push the colors and experiment.  I feel like I don't really experiment enough and try to keep my oil paintings safe....so we went with the experiment today.

I used the "posterize" feature in Photoshop and played with the level of shapes and colors.  Sounds easy enough right?  Just paint the shapes and colors you see.  Wow...was I wrong.  This is going to take some practice, but I think its a good challenge and will do more this way.  I think in the end it will help my traditional little daily paintings.

No comments: