Thursday, August 26, 2010

Berries and Mini Jar - WIP

"Berries and Mini Jar" 6 x 9" Pastel on Paper
Work in Progress


After taking the summer to paint landscapes, it's time to get back in the "still life" groove. I was kind of rusty yesterday, but the painting came much easier today.

This is a still life/photo combo painting. I set up the arrangement, and then did a pencil drawing to capture the light and the shape of the leaves. I knew the leaves wouldn't make it more than a day or two with the hot lights on them. I also had to move the berries in the real arrangement to get a reference for the berries on the right side in the shadow.

Hoping to finish it up maybe tomorrow or over the weekend. Feels good to get back to the still life and what I learned with Deborah Bays. Speaking of which, taking it to a critique tonight with Deb....we'll see what she has to say. Smile!

No comments: