Saturday, April 3, 2010

Prairie Afternoon - Today's Landscape

"Prairie Afternoon" 6 x 10" pastel on sanded paper


After finishing with paintings of eggs, I decided to cleanse my "palette" with a quick landscape. I'm still new at landscapes and really a newbie with clouds, but I'm happy with how this turned out.

Growing up in Nebraska, this is a scene I'm very familiar with. There's something very soothing about the clouds rolling in over the plains.


I've had questions about blending and my scribbling, so I took a picture with my left hand while my right hand was scribbling, quite a feat if I do say so. I hold the NuPastel down at the end between my middle finger and thumb, stabilizing the pastel with my "pointy" finger. I don't push hard but rather let the NuPastel glide over the sanded surface.

1 comment:

Lynda Schumacher said...

Cindy, THIS is beautiful. I love your use of color, and the simple landscape of the grasslands.