Sunday, February 16, 2014

Work in Progress - Blue Pitcher

Work in Progress
"Blue Pitcher"
8 x 8" oil on panel
I've recently been reading about the work of Camille Przewodek and her approach to painting that she learned from colorist, Henry Hensche.  It was from this reading I discovered the idea of painting still life outdoors.  I had heard of it before, but many years ago and it was not in the forefront of my mind.

Today was my first serious effort to paint outside on the deck, or at least start out there.  My deck off the bedroom faces east and I lose the sun about 1pm, so then I came inside (it was windy) and worked on the painting for most of the afternoon.  It was so fun and I got so lost in the layering of paint and colors. 

I have more I'd like to do to this painting tomorrow, but I'm pleased with my initial efforts. This is sooooo different for me - in composition, size, paint application (once you get a couple layers of paint on you have to lay the paint on with your brush flat to the canvas) and definitely in the quality of light.

No comments: