Friday, April 13, 2012

Work in Progress..Cup and Fruit

It's been awhile since I have shared a work in progress.  The following images capture:


Underpainting with black NuPastel

The above image depicts the sketch (you can see some of my pencil measurements on the elipse of the cup) and the identification of the shadow/dark structure.  Everything else is in the light.

First layers of color

First layer of colors are added, maintaining the original shadow/dark structure.   You can see lots of white flecks showing through which is the white sanded Wallis paper.

First layers blended
Sometimes I blend, sometimes not.  Depends on how realistic I want the painting to be.  The more realistic I want it to be then I will blend.  But I always have plenty of pastel pigment on the paper, or you will sand your little fingerprints right off.  Once I had it blended I realized how "chalky white" it was looking and my set-up had a really warm atmosphere.

Lots of warm colors added
Today's work was all about adding yellows, oranges and reds to everything.  I added the stem of the apple and generally started refining shapes.  I consider this 60% done. More work on the specifics of the cup and the pear are needed, then going over the whole thing to make the late stage adjustments in color and work with the edges.

4 comments:

Lynda Schumacher said...

Hey, Cindy. : )
When you blend the pastels, what do you use to do this?

Unknown said...

Hi Lynda!

I just use my finger tips...if there is enough pigment on the paper you are just moving pigment around. If not, you're sanding your fingerprints off.

Vanessa said...

Beautiful piece! Thanks for showing us your process. Is it charcoal that you're using in the initial stages to do your underpainting?

Unknown said...

Thanks Vanessa for your nice comment! The black is actually a NuPastel by Prismacolor. It's the hardest of the spectrum of pastels. I like to use them in the early stages when working on sanded surfaces. Sanded surfaces eat up the very soft pastels too quickly. If you are working on pastel paper like Canson, the tooth doesn't take but a few layers and you probably want to use a medium sot pastel to begin like a Rembrandt