Saturday, December 18, 2010

Mandarin Orange and Tulip Bowl - WIP - Oil

"Mandarin Orange and Tulip Bowl" 9 x 12 Umber Layer (Work in Progress)


As mentioned in my last post, I've been looking at the work of Dennis Whalen and a few other artists who use the techniques of Flemish painting.





The first thing I did was draw my composition on my gessoed panel (9 x 12). I then went over it with ink (I used a Sharpie). I can only guess at this point that the ink drawing is to preserve your drawing when you tone your canvas and if you don't like how the first layer is going you can wipe it off and still have your drawing ready to go.





Toning the canvas consisted of applying and wiping with a cloth a thin mixture of Burnt Umber oil paint. I used Walnut Oil as a medium to thin the paint. I let that dry for a day.





This picture is the Umber Layer...I've also seen it referred to as the Umbra Layer. The purpose of this step is unknown to me at this point, but I have to tell you it's the most fun I've had in a long time. Just the patient application of paint in a value study.....such tedium and so relaxing.


I'll let this dry for a couple of days, and then I apply the "dead layer".....doesn't that sound horrible??

No comments: