Thursday, September 24, 2009

New Painting - Cream and Sugar

I'm starting a new painting in class, using a lovely Peach Lustre sugar bowl and an Alfred Meakin white vintage pitcher.

This will still be a light and shadow design, but in high key. The light and shadow paintings I have done up to this point have been the full range of values (1-10). High key will keep the values not quite so dark with a range of value from 1-6 with a few punches of 7.

We have also been studying dynamic symmetry (DS) as a design tool. I have included the sketch of my DS grid on tracing paper. My painting is 12 x 18, so I took a piece of tracing paper the same size and drew my grid. Then I placed my items on the grid, moving the still life items as necessary. The idea that DS will help you have a more pleasing composition (similar to the golden mean).

Sorry about the quality of the photos, I was using my cell phone camera in the dark.




A photo of the setup I'm using


My drawing (a little askew) on the DS grid


Wallis paper with drawing transferred and dark (value 6/7) structure blocked in...

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Carolina said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this Cindy...

Ann said...

Beautiful still life!I look forward to seeing this piece progress. I'm going to go read about dynamic symmetry now :-)

Karen Hargett said...

I always like seeing a piece come together. Love the comp can't wait to see more.

Reflections From Life Art Blog said...

You have such beautiful items to put in the still lifes you do Cindy!!! This is going to be a beauty!! Wish I had a class like that around here.