Thursday, December 8, 2011

Higbee Exhibit and Artists Statements


Photo of one of the exhibit groupings from Randy Higbee 6" Squared Exhibit
My painting is top middle
What a fun Awards Ceremony was held on Facebook last night.  The winners were announced via  Randy Higbee's FB page real time.  A lot of folks "gathered" and as the awards were posted we were able to make comments and congratulate our favorite artists.  All of the winners produced amazing work.  I'm going to start painting now for the spring show!!

ARTIST STATEMENT

The following is an exercise from Molly Gordons' article on creating an artist statement: (It's a fill in the blank exercise and my answers are in red)

When I work with oils  I am reminded that I love brushwork and texture.
I begin a piece by setting up a still life with classical lighting.
I know a piece is done when I feel I can reach out and touch the objects.
When my work is going well, I am filled with a sense of relief and exhilaration (OK maybe a little self judgement).
When people see my work, I'd like them to sense the beauty and drama of everyday objects.

This is definitely harder than it looks...I'm going to cogitate on these answers for a few days. 

1 comment:

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

I love this collection!

I recently re-wrote my artist statement but I might try and re-tweak it using Molly's questions. Thanks for sharing this!