Sunday, July 19, 2009

Update on Blue Glass & Lemons

Blue Glass & Lemons, Pastel on Wallis, 12" x 18" (unfinished)

You can click on the photo to see more detail.

I have been working on this piece in class, where the lighting and setup are consistent. This project has been about training my eye to see in real life...not from a photo. So much more difficult than it sounds. Some of you know...move your head an inch...and the reflections change.
The painting can be classified as a "study" rather than a "finished painting", althought it will be finished at some point.

Also learning to edit what I see...I don't need to record everything...see it and decide if I need it.

The majority of my work for the last couple of classes has been on the blue glass and it's relationship to the clear glass cruet...as well as every other color, object, edge in the still life.
It's like balancing and spinning plates!

You may think my lemons look pasty and white...they are. Once I get all the glass done, the lemons will be the last thing I work on...especially the two on the right.

Been reading David Leffel's exerpt from his new Self-Portraits book found in the July/Aug 2009 issue of American Artist Magazine. It's an excellent article, a lot of info about edges..my main focus of study right now....as if you can study just one area...not!

3 comments:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Good capture, looking forward too seeing it finished :)

r garriott said...

Your blue glass is wonderful...!

Carolina said...

This is looking great Cindy, you're capturing all the lights and reflections nicely, can't wait to see it finished...