Thursday, October 23, 2008
Pumpkins 11" x 14" pastels on Ampersand Pastelbord
This has been my class project for the last 2 weeks....and I will be finishing it up next week. There are some areas I need to brush off as the pastel got too thick on the sanded board.
Again the object of the exercise is to utilize light and shadow to reveal the form. I need to fix my pumpkin sections on the large pumpkin...the creases don't really get that dark.
I did the drawing with NuPastels (they are hard and you can use them more like a drawing instrument than the chunky pastels.
The really cool dried stem WAS attached to the pumpkin when I picked it out in the produce section, but my helful checkout person ripped it off for me! I couldn't get "Stop" out fast enough. She thought I was making a pumpkin pie...ha! Little does she know, cooking a pumpkin pie for me is preheating the oven and opening a Sara Lee box. I've been known to screw that up!
But I got the stem in there and I quite like what it adds to the design.
Next week I will post the finished piece.