Tuesday, August 12, 2008

More Nectarines

Setup Photo - I found this clunky piece of wall art at the craft store in the clearance aisle for 50 cents, and then painted it black. These are my two trusty nectarines from the previous pastel post. I set it up in my nifty black box I made, with some fabrics from my quilt stash as backdrops.
Step 1 - Using my Derwent Coloursoft colored pencils, I covered the tan Ampersand Pastelbord with basic values and colors and smooshed them in with a stencil brush.
Step 2 - More colors, more values and more layers.
Step 3 - the clunky art piece in the back is starting to take shape with value, color and reflected light. More color, more layers.
Finished piece - Nectarines 8 x 10 colored pencil on pastelbord. SOLD

I am finding that my colored pencil work over the last few years has really influenced my recent pastel work, and that my recent pastel pieces have REALLY influenced this latest colored pencil work. I was using the cp's more loosely and more quickly than I have done in the past.

I can't wait to see how this all plays out when I start my pastel classes with Deborah Bays in Sept.

4 comments:

Ann said...

I really like the composition of this one and the painterly feel. I have tried smooshing color around and into pastel board but not with the same great results you achieve. Is a stencil brush very stiff? May be it's the fault of my brush LOL! This is really a lovely piece!

Unknown said...

Hi Ann! Thanks so much for your nice comments.

A stencil brush is fairly stiff. It's pretty much just a bristle brush with lots of hairs packed into the round metal frame.

I will post a picture later today of for you to see it and how it works.

Making A Mark said...

Join the pastelsandpencils club Cindy! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Katherine!