Friday, February 29, 2008

Pears and Cherries - Background done

For now the background is done. I have brushed and polished it so much that it looks like a piece of leather. I used a small bristle stencil brush, an oil bristle brush and a makeup sponge to do the smooshing and polishing.

The really wonderful part of the pastel board is that you can add a light over a highly saturated dark. So I may bring part of the color from the left side over into the middle or right side of the top later.

On to the shadows of the pears and cherries next.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to try pastelbord but for some odd reason I just think it'll eat away my pencil without actually letting me cover up those pesky little blank spaces between strokes... maybe i'm not laying down enough light strokes of color... but who knows o.o might have to give pastelbord a try.

hbedrosian said...

Oooh, I love the colors you've achieved in the background of this piece... very rich and majectic! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Unknown said...

Hi Jay, It eats up the Prismas pretty quickly, but I have been using Derwent Coloursofts and Signatures, and Faber Castell Polychromos. Then I smoosh them in with the brushes. It doesn't take much pigment to be able to brush.

Hi Holly, Thanks! I'm pleased with the colors that I got in the background. I'm thinking this one will be the one that I use the spray varnish on.

Unknown said...

I just discovered you through Beth's blog and wanted to come over for a visit.

Wow! This piece looks so DELECIOUS! And those colors are beyond exciting! Hope you don't mind if I come back for another look.

Unknown said...

Hi Debbie! Pleased to "meet" another colored pencil artist.
Thank you for your kind comments and I would love to have you visit again.

I'm hoping to have this piece finished...soon! Lot's of family things going on right now, but I am anxious to finish and start another.